Friday 6 April 2012

"Good Friday"

What is is that "turns your sorrow to joy"? (John.16:20)  I usually wade through Good Friday burdened with great trepidation.  I just don't want to be in this space. There is a part of me, even though I know that Sunday is coming, that dreads walking this pathway each year with Jesus. I don't want to experience the pain, even though I know that I must.

This year, however, I find myself in a significantly different space and oddly enough struggling even more!  This is the first time in 28 years that I have not been intimately involved with either leading worship or preaching on Good Friday. That which before I viewed as a burden and dreaded...desiring to avoid the pain, I now mourn the loss of and it's familiar, soul cleansing power. I find that I need to be in the midst of Good Friday's struggle.

I had thought that I could easily release the "church pastor" part of me and take on this new role as a missionary to the street. It seems, however, that the transition will prove to be much more difficult than I had at first believed. So, what then shall I do?  What is it that will turn this great sadness and loss that I am feeling into joy?  New life...resurrection life...the last found, served and redeemed by the blood of Jesus that was shed on this day almost 2000 years ago.

So, my prayer this morning, Lord, is for the gifting, wisdom and opportunity to lead and speak into the lives of the lost and broken souls who live around me in this community. I pray for an abundant measure of courage & discernment, words of knowledge and your healing power, that I may be a conduit of your grace and a light in the darkness.  I pray for your resurrection light to be poured out on Squamish, that the darkness of sin and death will be swept away and the whole community able to see and know your glory. I pray this in Jesus holy and righteous name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment