Thursday 13 September 2012

Watchman

Even though there are many awesome commissioning scripture passages, I have often thought that Ezekiel 33 should be read at all ordinations. I have a pastor friend whose whole ministry seems to be guided by this scripture. Some think him harsh and pushy, but I know that his heart is like that of God. “As I live, declares the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that he turn from his ways and live.” (Ezekiel 33:21)

My friend also takes his calling as a watchman very seriously. God said, “If I say to the wicked, O wicked one you shall surly die, and you do not speak to warn him to turn from his wicked ways, and that wicked person die in his iniquity, his blood I shall require at your hand.” (Ezekiel 33:8)  The watchman is responsible and subject to judgement for abrogating his responsibility to warn the sinner. That is why my brother in Christ seems almost desperate at times to speak out, even though it means he will be vilified for his faithfulness.
  
Perhaps some of the rest of us also need to take a page from this book and take our responsibility as watchmen much more seriously, rather than trying so hard to fit in with our fallen society.

No comments:

Post a Comment