Monday 11 June 2012

Unity Through Humility

It may seem to those of you who have been following my posts that I am obsessed with the unity of the church. I am, and unashamedly so. I have come in these last few months to realize that the survival of the church, and particularly the Anglican family of the church in North America, is utterly dependent upon unity. Divided, we will continue to fail and fall.

In Phil.2:20-21, Paul speaks about the state of the Christian community in his day, but he could well be speaking to faithful Anglicans today. He commends Timothy, but says of some of the others, "For they all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ." We often couch our continued separation in "spiritual" statements about vision and calling that are, in reality, little more than thinly veiled excuses for the personal retention of power and control of our environment.

How do I know this? Because that was me. As the leader of our small Anglican group, I was...for many years, desperate not to submit myself or in any way be subject to those who in past relationships had caused me pain. My lips declared the need to maintain our distinctive mission focus...that I said others were not pursuing, but it was really just an excuse for not seeking reconciliation and rapprochement. It was and is a sin for which I have begged the Lord for forgiveness.

Reconciliation is both messy and risky. It requires that I make myself vulnerable to the others, trusting that Jesus will see to my needs as His process and purposes are fulfilled. It is self-sacrificial act requiring a huge measure of humility. Paul outlines God's process for reconciliation. It contains these elements: "encouragement in Christ, comfort in love and participation in the Spirit." (Phil.2:1). We are to take encouragement not from ourselves, but Jesus. Our "comfort" is to come from love for others, not devices and desires of our own hearts (BCP Confession)...and we are called to participate (with the others) in the work of the Holy Spirit.

These can only be fulfilled when we have, "the same love", that is hearts joined together..."full accord", which means not separate, but along-side and completely agreeing, and of "one mind"...that is an identical vision and purpose. (2:2) None of these can be fulfilled when we insist on protecting our own ideas of how the church should be.

It can only be accomplished when we, "do nothing out of rivalry or conceit.". That means not considering my way the best way. We are also to, in "humility count others more significant" than ourselves, (2:3) all of which is only possible when we have the "mind of Christ" (2:5) Having the mind of Christ means, even though I may have position, power and authority...I become a "servant to the point of death" (2:8) and let The Father decide who and what vision is to be exalted.

My brothers as sisters, I beg you for the sake of the gospel and the body of faithful Anglican believers, to be reconciled with each other as you have been reconciled to God.
Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment